SO YOU WANT TO SEO
What is SEO? Well. For those of you who don't really know what SEO is. And for those that have heard the term. Who kinda-sort-think they know. SEO stands for search engine optimisation. Basically it is all the ways. And all the techniques you can use to help your website-business-brand be more visible when searching through search engines like our old mate google. SEO makes it easier for people to find you. Even if they weren’t looking for you specifically.
And a question we asked ourselves. Should you invest in SEO? If you want to kick google ass. Then heck yes. Or at least do your homework and make sure your website is up to speed. Easily found. We know ours isn’t. And we are slowing doing our best to turn it around.
We are definitely no experts in the world of web. SEO. Or even internets. Yes. We said internets. So we asked one of our favourites Karlie from Techno Bird a few questions. She is an internet-website-digital-marketing-SEO superstar. Uh huh.
TELL US A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOUR BUSINESS TECHNO BIRD.
The longer version: Techno Bird started out as a little web design business that I started on my own in 2013 while on maternity leave with my first child; I was seeking a more creative and exciting career where I got to be the boss and do things my way, after working in boring and non-creative corporate admin for the last 10 years.
Since then Techno Bird has grown into a bit of a digital marketing boutique biz – still doing websites and online stores as that’s my absolute passion, but we’ve now expanded into SEO consulting because websites and SEO goes hand in hand. So we now provide SEO/Website Audits and Reviews to help give your website and online profile a kick up the bum and make a real impact online. Alongside that, we also work closely with a professional Copywriter who is brilliant with SEO copywriting which really compliments our services. And I say “we” because it’s not just me on my own anymore, I have 2 web designers on my team now in Ali Bant and Belinda Owen, as well as a developer and Shopify partner, Ed Fastovski.
WE HAVE ALWAYS HEARD ABOUT SEO. AND TO BE HONEST. WE HAVEN'T REALLY PAID ATTENTION. UNTIL NOW. WE KNOW WE SHOULD SEO. BUT WHY.
I like to use this analogy when describing why we should use SEO: “Without SEO, your website is like a billboard in the middle of the desert – nobody will see it”. It’s all well and good to have a beautiful looking website, but if you don’t ensure it ticks all the SEO boxes and you don’t at least attempt to put in the SEO work that it needs, your site is likely to be a bit fat fail – you can’t expect to build a website but NOT ‘do SEO’. That whole “build it and they will come” saying – it’s bullshit. That’s why you should use SEO : )
AND WHAT ARE YOUR TOP FIVE SEO TIPS FOR THE NON-WEB-SAVY PEOPLE LIKE US.
Besides the main thing you should do, which is at the very least, learn basic SEO, my top 5 tips for the non-web savy person includes:
1. Dot your I’s and cross your T’s; make sure your content is relevant to your business, provides value to your key audience, makes sense to your key audience and create a Call to Action (get them clicking around on your site by having a “Sign Up” button, “Click here to read more” button, or something that encourages them to interact with your website content
2. Make sure your images have Alt Titles – meaning, give them a name/describe the image or use your keywords in the alt title – don’t upload an image and ignore that long line of letters and symbols that make no actual sense, name your images, all of them.
3. If you have a lot of images on your website it’s a good idea to compress them (read: make smaller in size) prior to uploading them to your website. A huge SEO killer is websites that take forever to load – think about the last time you tried to view a website and it took more than 4 seconds to load, did you stay or did you get out of there because #aintnobodygottimeforthat ? So how do you compress your images? There’s quite a few websites that let you do it for free, such as Image Optim (https://imageoptim.com/) - you have to download the software (and again, it’s free) and simply upload your images and voila, compressed images and happy fast loading website = good SEO!
4. Make sure your website’s navigation (menu) is as simplified as you can get it. Don’t do too many sub pages and dropdowns (if you can help it; some larger sites need a larger navigation but you can do this in a simple way that doesn’t confuse the user) – key point: make it super easy and super simple for a user to find what they need on your website.
5. Add your website link to your social media accounts/platforms, including your personal profiles on social media, online directories such as Yellow Pages and Tru Local, local shire business directories etc – LINK LINK LINK! The more links to your website (making sure to do it the non-dodgy way, ALWAYS keep it legit) the better. This is what’s called Link Building. .
WHAT IS THE NUMBER ONE SEO MYTH.
That if you create a website it will appear on page 1 of Google, just like that. Sorry peeps, but you have to do the work to get that result – and don’t get me wrong, it is TOTALLY achievable, but not without putting in some SEO effort.
WE KNOW AS A BLOGGER. PEOPLE ALWAYS ASK US SOME STRANGE QUESTIONS WHEN THEY FIND OUT WHAT WE DO. WHAT IS THE FIRST QUESTION YOU GET ASKED.
“How much does a website cost?” – Every. Time. And it’s a fair question, but there’s no straight answer because every single website is different, every business is different, everyone’s needs and wants are different. There is no one size fits all approach to how much a website costs, which is we tailor our quotes per individual/business.
HOW DO YOU MANAGE THE MUM-LIFE-WORK-LIFE JUGGLE.
(As I read this question, I no joke, took a deep breath and rolled my neck to give it some relief, ha!). To be honest Kim, I don’t know. Seriously, every day, every week, every month, every year is different to the next. I have a 4 year old who just started Kinder this year and who does 3 half days a week, and an 8 month old who doesn’t rate sleeping in the daytime too highly – I have AMAZING family support who babysit for me regularly, I work Saturday’s when my partner is home, I work A LOT of late nights and I work “when I can”. There’s pretty much no set routine or structure at the moment which is quite chaotic but hopefully this is going to change this week as the baby will be starting day care so I can get some more consistency in my days and weeks. Fingers crossed.
And if I’m really honest? I’m not managing it, and I don’t think anyone really does, we just go with the flow and hope for the best, right?!
THROUGHOUT YOUR BUSINESS JOURNEY, WHAT WOULD YOU SAY IS THE BIGGEST LESSON YOU HAVE LEARNT.
Oh I have 2 – the first one is this; that you are not for everyone and everyone is not for you, and secondly, you don’t have to go it alone and do ALL.THE.THINGS. by yourself. Get help, collaborate, network, do workshops, meet people, join FB groups, whatever – even if you run your business by yourself and you do all the work, you can choose to NOT be alone and don’t be too stubborn or afraid to seek help and align yourself with people who can help you grow your business.
WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO SOMEONE WANTING TO START A SMALL BUSINESS.
Start it before it’s ‘ready’ or ‘perfect’; you don’t have to wait until all your ducks are in a row, start NOW, get out there, dive straight in etc etc. Don’t wait until it’s perfect as it probably never will be! No excuses like, “I will when the kids are older”, or “I will when I have more money” or “I will when…” Get out there, go!
GET YOUR STALK ON.
TOP FIVE TO FOLLOW.
The Digital Picnic – @thedigitalpicnic
Louise Viveiros Fitness and Movement Coach - @lv_fitnessmovementcoach
Veronica Dearly - @veronicadearly
Lauren Fowler (LMFowler Photography) - @lozm4
Tanya Hennessey - @tanhennessy
My kids, Harper and Bodhi.
WORD THAT MAKES YOU LAUGH.
I’m going to cheat and use a phrase, “The bitch, she squashed my head, that bitch!” (I’m a huge Drop Dead Fred lover, so unless you have seen it a million plus times like me as a kid, that might not make sense!)
WORD THAT MAKES YOU CRINGE.
Can I say my own memory? Seriously, it’s so bad, and so annoying.
Flying. I’m terrified of it. Not being in control and at the risk of being morbid, death.
Photo Credits to superstar Leah Ladson Photography